New WHMIS 2015 Transition Timelines for Suppliers
On Friday May 19, 2017, Health Canada announced that they are delaying two of the WHMIS 2015 transition timelines. The two new deadline dates affect suppliers who are manufacturers and importers and suppliers who are distributors and those who import for their own use.
- Suppliers who are manufacturers and importers now have until June 1, 2018 to comply with the Hazardous Products Regulations (HPR). The deadline of June 1, 2017 has been delayed by one year to June 1, 2018.
- The second deadline of June 1, 2018 has been delayed by three months to September 1, 2018. This deadline is for suppliers who are distributors and those who import for own use.
- The deadline for employers has not been changed.
For information on employer WHMIS requirements set out by federal, provincial and territorial occupational health and safety agencies, contact the agency in your jurisdiction. Specific WHMIS requirements for any jurisdiction can also be found at WHMIS.org.
Also in News
The interim policy applies to the following types of products imported from the United States only:
- cleaning products used mainly to clean, bleach or scour surfaces (but not products used to polish, protect or improve the appearance of surfaces)
- laundry and dishwashing products used mainly to clean (but not fabric softeners or other such products)
These products may be sold to Canadian work places with U.S. labelling and safety data sheets (SDS). Important information will still be present, but the product labelling and SDS may appear different.