1.866.271.GEMC (4362)

info@gemc.ca

Lithium Battery Awareness Month - Book your training today to ensure your staff are up to date and purchase corresponding UN labels to correctly ship your materials.

Why WHMIS training is essential for restaurants.

December 06, 2019

Recently, there has been a lot of media coverage about the tragedy that occurred at a Buffalo Wild Wing location in the US. The General Manager died after being exposed to toxic fumes from a mixture of cleaning agents. Thirteen other people – 11 employees and 2 customers – also had to be treated with symptoms of burning eyes and difficulty breathing. (Source: CNN, view article here)

This tragedy is a sad reminder of the dangers that employees face every day in their workplace. These types of tragedies can be avoided, and it is up to the employer to make sure their employees are properly trained, and that all potential hazards are properly stored and labeled.

Restaurants in particular must maintain strict cleaning procedures, and this involves a variety of chemicals and cleaning products. Mixing of these compounds can be lethal, and this tragedy is a stark reminder of this.

Our mission is always to help employers ensure the safety of their employees and customers. Proper training is essential for the safety of everyone who encounters chemicals and cleaning products in their workplace.

GEMC offers in-house comprehensive WHMIS training, and we also offer a self-teach program.






Also in News

How to find out if your product or substance is regulated under the TDGR.
How to find out if your product or substance is regulated under the TDGR.

September 11, 2020

If an SDS is not available and the manufacturer or distributor are no longer in business, you will need to determine whether the product is a dangerous good by the same means as the original manufacturer.

Read More

Health Canada recalls more than 50 hand sanitizers in evolving list
Health Canada recalls more than 50 hand sanitizers in evolving list

August 06, 2020

Separately in the U.S. on Wednesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a report warning of serious adverse events, including death, associated with ingesting alcohol-based hand sanitizers containing methanol.

From May 1 through June 30, 15 cases of methanol poisoning were reported in Arizona and New Mexico, associated with swallowing alcohol-based hand sanitizers. Four patients died, and three were discharged with visual impairment.

Health Canada says frequent use of hand sanitizer containing methanol may cause dermatitis, eye irritation, upper respiratory system irritation and headaches.

Read More

Temporary certificate TU 0764 – Test samples for COVID-19
Temporary certificate TU 0764 – Test samples for COVID-19

July 29, 2020

Read More